[plug] Problems with display in Gnome

Carl Gherardi gherardi at ark.cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Aug 23 00:03:06 WST 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Carl Gherardi wrote:
>
> > Many GUI's do strange things, including(but not exclusive too) turning my
> > mouse pointer into a largish square and fonts being displayed as blocks.
>
> What Graphics card are you using, and at what refresh rate & number of
> colours are you running?

onboard SiS6320 chipset - 8M
24 bits
800x600 - 56 hertz

> I had similar problems with an ET6000 running at 24bpp, while it was fine
> at 16bpp or 32bpp
>
> As someone else mentioned, it could be a refresh rate problem (you may be
> pushing the card too hard) so you might want to try lowering that.
>
>  - Matt

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was running through some stuff and it
looks like it is a resources problem.

I'm running on 32M RAM (To be fixed tommorow) I let you know if it fixes
the problem.

Still curious as to whether that is the cause of the font display problem.

Thanks again

Carl