[plug] Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 23 10:48:28 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:

> Christian wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 10:17:43PM +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> > > http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0807/news-navy-08-07-00.asp
> >
> > Anyone have any idea what happens when a nuclear reactor bluescreens?
>
> Chernobyl
>
> --
>
> Bret Busby

After I sent the reply above, I remembered something that may be useful.

I have no idea whether you can find a copy, Christian, but, from memory,
in the issue of the Scientific American, of about March 1981, was an
article, which gave the estimated effects of each of a nuclear
power station meltdown, a hit from a standard 10 megaton nuclear
warhead, and, a standard 10 megaton nuclear warhead hitting a nuclear
power station. Whilst the size of the warheads may have changed, the
article gave a valuable insight, which, I believe, is still applicable.

I remember this, because, at the time, Charlie Court, as the state
premier, had proposed building a 10 megawatt ( I think that was the
power output that he was considering) power station, up near Joondalup
(from memory). We had some fanatical USA president, who could easily
have started a nuclear war, and, such a power station around Perth,
given the subservience of the Australian feral government to the USA,
would have been a likely target (as would have Garden Island, etc). Mind
you, given that the Australian airforce has a tendency to bomb Toyota
landcruisers within Australia (Oh, what a feeling!), the Ozzie airforce
could easily have bombed an Ozzie power station, as well...

If we had had the power station, and it had been hit by a nuclear
warhead, from the article, it would not have been safe to go north of
the river (in the metropolitan area), for at least a hundred years. The
size of the expected crater, etc, were given in the article. (Not that
is so safe to go north of the river, now, especially at night...)

Depending on your degree of interest, you could try to find the
magazine, and, the article...

--

Bret Busby