[plug] The Community's gone Crackers

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Aug 23 11:13:22 WST 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:57:48AM +0800, skribe wrote:

> Is it technically possible to forge the rpmdb so that even this doesn't
> show up the compromised progs?  For example, installing your own version of
> the rpm package.  Or rewriting the info in the db so the discrepancies
> don't show up.  I'm not sure the later is even possible practically, but
> theoretically it is something to consider.

It's absolutely possible.  In fact, there quite possibly is a root kit
out there which does this.  There are several solutions to getting
verifiably secure audit trails and not all of them are 100% foolproof.
The BSD securelevels and file flags is a good, practical and effective
approach.  Mark your system logs as "append only" and make other
important system files "immutable".  Linux capabilities will be more
flexible than this but I think it's got a way to go.  Another practical
approach is using a "secure" log host (OpenBSD running only syslogd is a
good candidate).  There are also solutions for cryptographic protection
of log files which will protect you right up until the compromise.