[plug] Installfest

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 23 15:49:33 WST 2000

One thing that has occurred to me, regarding the Installfest, is that
the list has had discussion, off and on, about comparisons of the
various distributions, and the relative degrees of difficulty of
installing each of them.

Perhaps, it could be worthwhile, apart from having a straight
installfest, to work it in as a kind of workshop, demonstrating the
differences in installation, of the various distributions?

By this, I don't mean a distribution war, or, some kind of competition;
just a way of people being able to see for themselves, the differences,
in installation, betwen the various distributions.

For example, while I am a Red Hat user, and, on Sunday, we upgraded one
of our machines from RH 6.0 to RH 6.2 (upgrade, not clean install), I
understand that Debian has become significantly easier to install. I am
not sure where I read it; it may have been on the Debian website.

I believe that it would be interesting to see a comparison of
installation, of the various distributions, if people were willing to be
involved.

What does everyone else think about this?

--

Bret Busby