[plug] Installfest

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 23 17:07:53 WST 2000

Darrell Horrocks wrote:

<snip>

> Having come from a RH installation (and formerly Mandrake), which I guess
> holds your hand through the install, I was relatively shocked when I
> recently (last weekend) installed Debian (thanks Matt).
>
> The installation was not really friendly, and if it has become MORE friendly
> then I would hate to have seen it previously!!!!  However I think that this
> is an unfortunate by-product of having VERY easy to use install and replace
> functions (the much talked about APT-Get and DSELECT).  If it is simple to
> add and remove applications from your system, why attempt to install the
> kitchen sink in the initial install?

<snip>

Was it the latest version of Debian, Debian 2.2, released on 14 August
2000?

I may have been wrong, with my understanding that Debian had become easy
to install; I cannot find anything that says that it is now easy to
install; it may be that I may have read too much into the following.

"It is often criticised for lack of usability for non-Unix types, the
difficult install process it
used to have,"

- from something about mashed spuds or something, on 15 August, by the
billy goat.

--

Bret Busby