[plug] Installfest - demo machines

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Wed Aug 23 23:11:58 WST 2000

It really depends on what you want the machine for... if you want just a
PC that can get wiped over a dozen types during the course of the day
while people experiment with installing linux etc then that is one
thing.  If you want a machine that you can say "look this is a live
working linux box that someone uses to do their stuff with instead of
windows" then that is another... taking in production machines means the
donator is running the risk of having a broken production machine by the
end of the day.

I would be reluctant to bring in any of our production machines for the
very reason that if it got broken during the installfest I would be
spending the next couple of days reinstalling and then more to the point
reconfiguring back to a working server.  But I could possibly bring in a
couple of Celeron-333's or similar for a format-at-will purpose that are
currently inhabited by Win95.

The other thought I just had that I can't remember seeing mentioned is
networking gear?  Wouldn't a hub (or switch) or two be handy?

Paul

--
Paul Baumgarten
Information Systems Manager, Kingsway Christian College
Email: paul at bauma.com.au or paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Mobile: 041 994 2779