[plug] Installfest - demo machines

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Aug 24 10:30:40 WST 2000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Paul Baumgarten wrote:
> > The other thought I just had that I can't remember seeing mentioned is
> > networking gear?  Wouldn't a hub (or switch) or two be handy?

I'll have 2x 16port switeches and 1x8port 10mb hub (with coax)
Heaps of paower boards and extension cords.  tables chairs etc etc
and at least one but hopefull 2 whiteboards.  Also the room has an acordian
style room divide.  so we can section of pasrts of the rooms.

The more the merrier.

> One unseen advantage is that we can have (a) machine(s) serving install data
> over the LAN, especially useful for any people without CD drives.

Yeah between Brad's maga debian beast and my little RedHat machine we will
be able to install either debain 2.2 or RedHat 6.2 via nfs, http or ftp.

> Tony, does the venue have any telephone lines or any built-in networking?

The room in question has a 10Mb link back to an ISP (Cantech)  TBH I'm not
sure about phone lines.   Worst case scenario we'll have a phone line through
a PABX.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein