[plug] Re: Aussie DMCA is here now!

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Fri Aug 25 11:48:04 WST 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
> The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > then, what of the prospect of reverse-engineering
> > > illegitimate software, such as a virus, or, malicious hacking program,
> > > in order to defeat the nasty software?
> > Getting back to UCITA, there is also a provision for
> > Microsoft to prevent you even calling their software those names.
> I thought the USA constitution included free speech, so that anyone in
> the USA could freely express their opinions. Or, has M$ bought the
> rights to that?
Yep. Sold to the highest bidder. :)
The UCITA makes licenses enforceable even where they restrain the user
from discussing the software. (comment, reviewing, documenting, whatever)
The result of this is of course that copyright protection racketeers will
only grant permission for positive reviews of their products.

-Greg Mildenhall