[plug] serial module

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Aug 26 22:14:40 WST 2000

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> why is
> (something) looking for a serial.o module when I've got it compiled
> into my kernel, which is giving me log file errors "Can't locate
> module char-major-5"?  The usual solution to that problem is sticking
> "alias char-major-5 serial" in /etc/modutils/aliases and running
> update-aliases (or on other/older distributions, sticking it in
> /etc/conf.modules), but I don't *have* a serial.o module because I
> don't *need* one when it's compiled in, so I can't understand why I'm
> getting this error all the time.

Possible that something wants a better serial driver, but I can't imagine what.
There is an updated 2.2.* driver around that gives you many 2.4.* features, such
as support for a bazillion weird (mostly PCI) serial cards.

Unless you're using a serial console, try compiling the kernel with the serial
driver as a module. While you're at it, try the better driver (it's on
sourceforge somewhere). It does some nice things.

--
How penguins survive: many are cold, but few are frozen.