[plug] Mandrake 7.1 cannot find Intel EtherExpress Pro

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Wed Aug 30 07:35:21 WST 2000

I am pretty sure you are right Gavin.  The eepro module underwent some
changes in recent versions of the Kernel and my ISA 10 Mbit EtherExpress Pro
also stopped working when I upgraded to 2.2.16 (from 2.2.15 I think, the
version of the kernel sent with Mandrake 7.1).  I don't know if this is a
sin, but I retrieved the eepro.c file from the older kernel version into the
2.2.16 kernel tree, recompiled 2.2.16 modules and the card works fine now.

I should point out that my Mandrake install worked smoothly with the eepro
card but I had to manually specify the hardware settings as irq=5 io=0x300.
It is easy to forget the "0x" on the io address.  In Phillip's case I think
the correct settings should be irq=5 io=0x210.  I doubt that it needs the
upper memory address.

There is a small DOS executable you can download off the Internet if you
need to change these settings on the card, but given that it works under
Windows, you probably don't have any hardware conflicts.

HTH
Colin Rothnie