[plug] rsh

Rob Dunne robd at anville.wa.cmis.csiro.au
Thu Aug 31 17:29:20 WST 2000

Hi Leon,
      thanks for the help.
The problem persisists whether the PPP link is up or not.

> Alternatively, make a copy of the hosts file, and change the original so that
> robertd-ppp.wa.cmis.csiro.au is on the 127.0.0.1 line. If this doesn't work,
>  the
> licensing server is IP-sensitive (which would annoy the heck out of me) and
> you'll have to rely on the above solution.

I guess it appears that the licensing server is IP-sensitive.

lycra >ping robertd-ppp.wa.cmis.csiro.au
PING robertd-ppp.wa.cmis.csiro.au (127.0.0.1) from 127.0.0.1 : 56 data bytes

lycra >Splus5
License Warning : Server down. Trying "
rsh robertd-ppp.wa.cmis.csiro.au env SHOME=$SHOME Splus5 LICENSE server start".
License server should be started on robertd-ppp.wa.cmis.csiro.au.
License server not started.

> Do netstat -at and see what services are open.
> The rsh service is highly insecure. If you can convince the thing to use ssh
> instead, do it.

Thanks -- I must looking into ssh.
netstat -at lists about 55 things -- some of which should probably go.

tcp        0      0 *:linuxconf             *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:auth                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:time                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:finger                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:pop-3                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:pop-2                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:login                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:shell                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:gopher                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN

								bye
								rob

--
 Rob Dunne         Fax: +61 8 9333 6121     Tel: +61 8 9333 6178
 CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
 http://matilda.vu.edu.au/~dunne  Email: Robert.Dunne at cmis.csiro.au

        Java has certainly revolutionized marketing and litigation.