[plug] DB Question

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 1 10:04:09 WST 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:18:07AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
[ snip stuff about data transfer ]
> You will be pleased to know that a large (in dollars, not in seats)
> Perth-based Gummint department is carefully considering (ie experimenting
> with) migrating from MS-SQL to PostgreSQL, and also swapping most if not
> all of their Windows workstations for diskless Linux workstations plus
> (where needed) Win4Lin.

I'm extremely intrigued. Can you tell us which particular Gummint dept is
considering this, or is it tippety-top secret?

The DB changeover isn't so amazing (being more of a server-side thing), but
even thinking about changing over Windows "workstations" to Linux is pretty
freaky, especially for the government.

(Besides, I'm sure ZDNet told me that Linux isn't suitable for desktops
yet! :])

> --
> Randal said it would be tough to do in sed.  He didn't say he didn't
> understand sed.  Randal understands sed quite well.  Which is why he
> uses Perl. :-) -- Larry Wall in <7874 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

Dammit Leon, where _do_ you get your sigs from? :)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--