[plug] strange happenings - advice needed

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Dec 1 11:11:11 WST 2000

Peter Wright wrote:
> It's almost getting routine for me. Running (large, potentially
> memory-leaking?) apps such as mozilla (either built from cvs or M18),
> StarOffice 5.2 - even konqueror (KDE file manager/browser).... after some
> length of time X will just "freeze". If I leave the machine for a few hours
> with (for example) StarOffice running, it's pretty much guaranteed I'll
> come back to it and it'll be frozen - ie. nothing happening on display, no
> response to keyboard input.

I run a Banshee under XFree86-3.3.6 on this machine (soon to be updated), and
StarOffice 5.2 will stay open for months on end without trauma (-: try doing
that with MS-Office, I dare you! :-) so it's pretty close to certain that the
NVDIAness is the problem.

I support one machine with a TNT-2 card which every so often (once or twice a
day) segfaults X. Doing stuff like playing videos seems to be regarded as
provokation, so it wouldn't surprise me to discover that it was something like a
counter overflow in NVIDIA's code. Perhaps we should ask them for the _real_
source? (-:

--
"The system runs with NT 3.51, service pack 5.
 At now, we have no idea why."