[plug] NFS Bizarre Problem

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Dec 1 20:04:33 WST 2000

List,

I've restarted NFS with a stop/start, and suddenly the NFS daemon refuses
to start, claiming:

Starting NFS daemon:
nfssvc: Address already in use
                                                           [FAILED]

All other NFS (rpc) services start and shutdown fine, but the NFS daemon
itself refuses to. It was from a RH 6.0 package, knfsd-1.2.2-4 (is the
closest package name installed i can find)

nmap returns an open UDP port on 2049:

[root at xxxxx ~]# nmap -sU -p 2049 localhost
Starting nmap V. 2.12 by Fyodor (fyodor at dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
2049    open        udp        nfs

yet i run:

[root at xxxxx ~]# lsof  -i :2049

and returns nothing (is this right?)... I have no idea what could be
holding this port open. It shutdown cleanly just didnt want to come back
up. This problem could probably be resolved with a reboot, but i'd much
rather not - surely there's a better solution? Can I force a port to be
released?

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--