[plug] Quakeathon

Campbell, David (Ex AS17) david.j.campbell at honeywell.com
Mon Dec 4 10:16:57 WST 2000

> From:	Leon Brooks [SMTP:leon at brooks.smileys.net]
> Subject:	Re: [plug] Quakeathon

> "Campbell, David (Ex AS17)" wrote:
>> Just found out that the Gamers Guild are having a LAN bash on the 14th
Jan,
>> offically it starts at 9am (unoffically 12:01 am) and ends whenever...
>> Need to get some more details but they have a fairly large hall (East Vic
>> Park, fairly central, close to train station), lots of tressel tables, a
>> fridge stocked with various cafinated substances (coke, jolt, red eye,
...).
>> A large number of the members when asked about linux will respond about
some
>> obscure problem they are having (eg: they are willing to give linux a
try).

>> I need to get the full details but outsiders are welcomed (plug probably
>> more so...)

>Sounds like a very likely option. I wonder if tcpdump understands Quake
packets?
>(-:

> If we're to do this, as well as bringing along the mainstream Quake and
friends
> we should brush up on a few games that aren't available under Windows, and
a few
> of the popular text genre (like Adventure, Nethack, DEC Empire) which
others can
> telnet into a machine and use. And if the hall has 'phone available,
provide an
> Internet gateway.

That is one of two things I forgot to mention:

1) The location being a church hall (across the road from "Heart in the
Park") does not have a phone line we can use for internet connection. When I
was in Albany a couple of months ago there was a ISP using radio for some of
their more remote customers (min connection bandwidth was compariable to 2
channel ISDN). Is there something similar in Perth?

2) "Trolls" will not be tolerated!!, a number of Gamers Guild members are
quite proficient with a +5 battle axe. (one gave a disertion on the correct
usage of halberd in a dungeon corridor several years back at a convention).

David Campbell

PS: With point 2, the meaning of the word "troll" differs significantly
between PLUG and the gamers guild.