[plug] RPM & Mandrake 7.2

Matt satyr at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 11 19:05:55 WST 2000

Hey all,

I have yet another problem, but this one seems the most frustrating of
all,

I am running Mandrake 7.2 & each time I try to install and rpm package
it installs the files but near the end of the installation it makes my
system run incredibly slow, little to no response and restarts X. when i
install it from command line it does the same but doesnt restart x, it
comes back with "killed".

It didnt start doing this until about a month after the install. First I
thought it was a memory problem so I edited inittab to run as little as
possible and still no luck. I also had this problem with 7.1 for awhile
but then it just dissapeared. I have used other dists that use rpm such
as Redhat and Caldera but this is the only dist I have found to have
this sort of probelm. I have been on the Mandrake newsgroup but the only
solution they could come up with was the Problem about the RAM. If it
helps I have 128MB

Another problem I have it when I try to swith run level. I use the
following "init *" (* beging whatever run level i want) and the only
feedback I get it is [FAILED]. I know that is not much to go by but
suggestions would be great

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt