[plug] RPM & Mandrake 7.2

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Dec 12 10:03:36 WST 2000

Matt wrote:
> I am running Mandrake 7.2 & each time I try to install and rpm package it
> installs the files but near the end of the installation it makes my system run
> incredibly slow, little to no response and restarts X. when i install it from
> command line it does the same but doesnt restart x, it comes back with
> "killed".

> It didnt start doing this until about a month after the install. First I
> thought it was a memory problem so I edited inittab to run as little as
> possible and still no luck. I also had this problem with 7.1 for awhile but
> then it just dissapeared. I have used other dists that use rpm such as Redhat
> and Caldera but this is the only dist I have found to have this sort of
> probelm.

Try rebuilding the RPM database. I've seen a similar slowdown from RedHat
6.1(?).

Rather than editing inittab, perhaps you should be looking in
/etc/rc.d/rc[1-5].d for things to switch off. Linuxconf is a handy way of
dealing with random services.

--
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum