[plug] auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Dec 13 01:08:37 WST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Robert Andrews wrote:
> Hi all can somebody point me in the right direction to fix this fault that is reported in my
> /var/log/messges on a redhat6.1 system
>
> Nov 12 20:08:28 squirrel-gw inetd[24201]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Robert,

Means that the inetd super-server can't listen on the auth port because
something else already is... translate: this is most likely the identd
server that runs on port 113. Most probably you have a line in
/etc/inetd.conf that asks inetd to listen for auth requests as well as
having started identd separately.

Solution, remove one of them. If you don't really need identd (if your not
sure what it is, you probably don't need it) then get rid of it in both
places. Otherwise just remove the line from inetd.conf or kill the identd
program (might be called identd, might not be.) It'd probably be better to
kill the identd program as keeping it in inetd gives some extra security
control through hosts.allow/deny.

If you're not sure which program has this port then type "lsof -i :113" to
see if it spills out inetd or identd or something else, then kill it. And
you may need to change some other scripts to stop it loading on boot
etc... Tell us how you go. =)

HTH,

Bernard.

--