[plug] Perl vs PHP

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Wed Dec 13 13:27:06 WST 2000

I have no Perl experience, but I can safely say that PHP was very easy to
get my head around as a newcomer. I tried it out with mySQL rather than
PostgreSQL, but it definitely supports the latter.

My particular self imposed project was a home spun search engine. I found
PHP's string handling capability perfect for such a task, and the way in
which the PHP scripting is simply incorporated into the html makes the final
layout, user interface etc a breeze.

I am sure that Perl offers similar compelling arguments, and I intend to
check it out sometime too.

Dennis.

Anne wrote:

Hi all,

I am about to building a knowledge-base database
system using PostgreSQL (uni project) and want to have
web front-end.  Which would be better to use PHP or
perl. I have little experience in either so the
learning curve will be much the same for either
products.

AB