[plug] Ping

Kim Covil kimc at zydeco.ned.dem.csiro.au
Thu Dec 14 11:54:31 WST 2000

> Hi all=20
> I have a redhat 6.1 system I use a local internet server, for my home =
> network, I have 4 windows comps (hmm I know missus and kids you know the =
> deal).
> However when I ping my local isp from any of the win comps (through the =
> linux box) the pings are reported to be much faster than when i ping the =
> local isp through the linux box which has the direct connection
> win pings 150-170 ms
> linux pings 170-205 ms
> Can anybody explain to me why this is.
> Thank you.
> =20

Possibly windows is using a smaller ping packet than linux by default...

I can't remember if you can specify packet size under windows but it is
ping -s <size> <host> under linux...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009      Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au