[plug] Perl vs PHP

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 14 12:24:07 WST 2000

"Jason :)" wrote:

<snip>

> As for the original question, use whichever you are most comfortable with and
> whichever gets the job done best. It really depends on what it is you're
> building.

Aaaargh!

"I am about to build a knowledge-base database
system using PostgreSQL (uni project) and want to have
web front-end.  Which would be better to use PHP or
perl. I have little experience in either so the
learning curve will be much the same for either
products."
- Original query posted (slightly corrected, grammatically)

She stated that she was not familiar with either - so, she could not be
said to be any more comfortable with either. She did not therefore know
"whichever gets the job done best", which is why she posted the query,
seeking advice. She did state what she wanted to build.

I believe that the system is intended to be rule-based, so, if either is
better at implementing rule-based knowledge-base systems, that may be a
significant factor. If I am wrong in that, I am sure that she can
correct me.

Methinks, "the original question" was not read, in the response above.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988