[plug] Mandrake Vs. RedHat

Kim Covil kimc at zydeco.ned.dem.csiro.au
Thu Dec 14 16:18:17 WST 2000

> Mandrake is built on RedHat its got a bit more stuff, id go RedHat or corel
> its easy to install.

As far as I know Mandrake hasn't been based on RedHat since Mandrake
7.0... It now has it's own development version and many other features
that have nothing to do with RedHat...

I personally have used Mandrake versions since they started producing
them... My next move is to debian I think... (waiting for my new machine
to arrive at work so I can try and put both on and compare...)

Both RedHat and Mandrake occasionally have problems which seem to be due
to trying to get the next release out before it has been fully tested...
Suse may be better in that respect but I haven't tried it...

I would recommend Mandrake as a starting distribution to a newbie... but
RedHat if you are expecting to want to install binary packages from
anyone as they tend to be packaged for the latest RedHat and there are
now almost always differences between RedHat's and Mandrake's chosen
versions of glibc...

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009      Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au