[plug] Mandrake Vs. RedHat

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Dec 15 08:37:44 WST 2000

I posted something yesterday regarding my Mandrake vs Red Hat experiences
(albeit earlier versions) and suggested that you try both.

I installed Red Hat 7.0 on another box last night, and I have now changed my
mind. I would now unreservedly suggest you try Mandrake 7.2 first,
particularly as your first Linux os. You will get a heap more stuff to
explore after the install, and in all likelihood, it will be more "ready"
for you to investigate. Red Hat still leaves you with quite a bit of config
in many cases, to do after the install. You might learn more via Red Hat,
but it's also frustrating for the beginner compared to Mandrake.

The Red Hat 7.0 distribution is also fairly low key, with less "end user"
stuff included. Mandrake probably goes too much the other way with its
smorgasbord of games, science, publishing apps, etc. But, at least you get
some decent CD burning, multimedia and office suite stuff, to give you
something to do in this new operating system of yours!

Hope this helps.

Dennis.