[plug] Im in Big trouble

Robert Andrews squirrel at emerge.net.au
Sun Dec 17 20:00:04 WST 2000

Hi Guys thanks for the replies
 okay I will try to explain what has happened to me over the last few days
First off remember IM a Newbie less that 6 months
System = Pentium 100, no floppy, no cd rom, 8.4 ide, Matrox Millenium 8meg, no monitor,RedHat 6.1
I have set this up as a home server and has been running great for months still does in fact except for my new problem
First off what I tried to do was set up a simple dial in service on my other line
I used the other serial port which was attached to my mouse ( at the time I didn't realize that this was probably the main reason for my failure as gpm was using the port I do not use X Windows and have since disabled my mouse)
I installed uugetty and followed the instructions from a book called "Using Linux by Bill Ball"
I got it to the stage where I could dial in remotely and log in but not to the point where I had internet access.
So I then installed a new serial port set the jumpers and irq to 3e8 irq 5 and changed the bios serial ports to suit.
When the system goes through the boot process it incorrectly reports the irq of my new serial card.
Then when it gets to the point of setting the serial ports just after setting the swap files (I think maybe run level 2)
It reports all 3 ports as having inappropriate ioctl for this device (3 times)
I then used setserial to reconfigure the ports .I have no problems talking to the modems
Now when I connect to my isp I cannot get out past my gateway .
I cant even ping my isp the only ip I can ping is my remote ip supplied on connection (I have a permanent IP)
When I ping my remote ip the pings are returned in 160-180 ms not bad but 85% packet loss.
These results are the same on the Linux machine or from a terminal.
It seems like its a hardware or irq prob I have tried removing the new serial card and putting every thing back the way it was
Non of this has changed anything the system still reports ioctl inappropriate for this device I still cant ping my isp or use the internet
the modem will stay connected all day the problem is not at my isp I can connect with my Windows comp no problems.
I have been through all my scripts I cant find anything wrong ifconfig ppp0 etho all report to be correct however netstat shows no port available except for 2 tcp ports for telnet both to my windows comps netstat -N shows all the ports that should be there.
Its got me beat I really dont want to do a reinstall I would like to solve this problem I have been on it for 4 days now with no results.
Sorry for this being so long thats why I wanted to talk to somebody the other reason is I have to type this with 1 hand I broke my collar bone last weekend I know nobody in my home town who uses Linux.
 Regards Bob Andrews.