[plug] Email problems

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 18 09:46:13 WST 2000

Jon Miller wrote...

 >Client of mine is constantly getting pop-up messages stating the "'the
line to your server >has been disconnected' or something along those
lines.  Basically, every once in a while >they lose connection to their
mail server (Linux RH6.1 using Sendmail).  The setup is the
----- snip -----
------ snip -----
 >Users are actually on one segment with a very few on the same segment as
the Mail >Server.
 >Using DHCP with all pertinent information showing up ( however on 3
wrkstns, they could >not get a DHCP request/reply).  We are waiting to see
if and when they want to

Jon, this smacks of 10base2 network problems so I'd check for dodgy
connections and especially, correct termination.  If you ping to / from the
workstations which do not respond for DHCP, what percent packet loss is
seen?  A less likely cause would be a faulty NIC transceiver jabbering on
the segment.

My 2.2c
Denis