[plug] internet problems

Evan Lau evanlau at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 20 22:34:30 WST 2000

hey guys,

well if you read the rest of my post, it says that the Linux machine is
acting as a server for a Windows machine, ie. IP masquerading is
implemented. now further in the post i wrote that the Windows machine can
has none of the problems i've had with the Linux machine, even though it
has to go through the Linux machine.

if it makes it any clearer, the Windows machine uses my Linux machine as
it's DNS server which forwards all DNS requests to the DNS servers of the
ISPs. but DNS shouldn't be an issue if i can start a download but then it
stalls....as the IP has already been resolved and connection made :)

also, the Windows machine is set up to use the same proxy server as my
Linux machine so that again shouldn't be the problem. but if you wanted to
know, the proxy is my ISP's and i don't have one of my own (although i do
have a firewall as per described in the IP masquerading howto....but this
firewall again cannot be the problem as it lets incoming traffic through
for a while then stops? that can't be).

hence....i'm thinking because my Windows machine works, it's not the DNS,
nor the proxy, nor the hardware, nor my ISP, but rather something that
happens between receiving the data on my modem and getting it onto my hard
disk. when i turn off the DNS server and manually add the IPs of my ISP's
DNS servers....also when i turn off IP masquerading, the problem persists
for my linux box.

i hope that it's clearer now....thanks guys :)

regards,
evan