[plug] Mandrake Vs. RedHat (and OT: Orbital disclaimer)

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 20 22:38:49 WST 2000

> And with several new Windows virii arriving every day, they can't. However, in
> adding this to the message, Orbital is assuming a burden of, quote, ``reasonable
> care'' which it may not hereinbefore have been required to provide. Sometimes I
> suspect that the primary purpose of law is to make money for lawyers. Jeremy...?

Um, you're saying that as if there was something *wrong* with that?? :-)

I agree that people (or companies, actually) use email disclaimers WAY
too liberally.  If you add a confidentiality disclaimer to all your
email (confidential or not) then you "devalue the currency" and (like
the boy who cried wolf) if you send out something that is REALLY
confidential the recipient (who had previously received lots of blonde
jokes with the confidentiality disclaimer) could argue he or she had no
reason to believe it was confidential at all.

Case in point, I'm a lawyer and I don't use a disclaimer at all.  If
something I send is confidential, or contains something that doesn't
represent the opinions of my employer (this is seldom, since I'm
self-employed) or the organisation I'm representing, I will say so in
the body of the email.  Much more effective and legally safer.

--
Independent consulting solicitor* | _ .__ ._ _    |\/| _.| _ _ |._ _
and technology consultant.**    \_|(/_|(/_| | |\/ |  |(_||(_(_)|| | |
* http://www.ilaw.com.au ** http://www.terminus.net.au jm at ilaw.com.au