[plug] Simplest POP dial-in sequence ?

Mike erazmus at wantree.com.au
Thu Dec 21 13:43:34 WST 2000

At 01:18 PM 21/12/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>You don't want to do tcp/ip in this situation. Make sure your dialup
>account goes to a terminal server that will let you log in to a unix shell
>server with the "mail" command, or lacking that some kind of command
>prompt with a telnet program, then telnet to the appropriate smtp port.

Tah Greg, thats something I'm not acquainted with - doubtless iinet could
help me there. Ideally I'd like to ue the existing iinet dialin server
and not have to set up a special access mode - then I could use it
normally for my own account etc,

>The hard part will be handling the serial device and modem with good
>enough flow control, but the chances are your particular hardware will
>have software written for it to do just that. The rest is fairly easy.

Thats all done thankfully, as i/we currently receive/dialin to PET/TAP,

Any links you know of to cover familiarity/background for the first
part above re Unix/SMtp, telent etc ?

Rgds

Mike