[plug] email message formats (inline attachments)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Dec 24 16:57:11 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 08:06:52PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
>> Christian wrote:
>>
>>> If you disable viewing inline attachments then you end up clicking on
>>> the attachment to view it anyway.
>>
>> Not in Netscape. You have to click on a message to delete it, unless you
>> can span it with a range. Clicking on a nastygram runs it, unless you
>> disable inline attachements (note that this is still two steps better
>> than Outlook, which runs many more kinds of nastygram, and which can be
>> induced to run a nastygram when you *receive* it...). I would rather
>> click on a nastygram, see dubious URLs and delete it without running it.
>> Truth be told, I would rather not see any nastygrams or other spam in
>> the first place, but in practice that involves either not having an
>> email address, or having a human filter it for you first.
>
> Try actually reading what I wrote.  What you've said is completely
> orthogonal to what I said.

Perpendicular? Orthogonal would imply that I did understand and that the
reply harmoinised - which doesn't seem to match either the tone of your
message or your never-say-die debating character. (-:

> What exactly do you mean by "runs it"?  Displays the image or the HTML
> page?  Funny, I could have sworn these things happen when you're browsing
> the web...

Which is not targetted as email is. Not only that, you don't *choose* to
receive the email.

> BTW, you don't have to open a message to delete
> it in Netscape.  Try hiding/closing the window that displays the message
> contents and selecting a new message.  It won't open the messsage.

Perhaps you're running a different netscape? I use a three-frame view
which displays a message's contents as soon as you click on the details
line.