[plug] SCSI emulation for CDROM

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Thu Dec 28 08:38:41 WST 2000

I recently upgraded to Mandrake 7.2, and it is all running sweet, including
it setting up my IDE Mitsumi CDRW using SCSI emulation during the install.
Like Mandrake 7.1, 7.2 sets up the CDRW as a pseudo SCSI device, but leaves
my other IDE CDROM drive as a plain IDE CDROM device. For the record, my
burner is on the Secondary master IDE, and the CDROM drive is on the
secondary slave.

Mandrake 7.1 had X-cdroast version 0.96, which allowed me to select my IDE
CDROM to read (at 40x). 7.2 ships with X-cdroast version 0.98, which I much
prefer overall, but it will not allow me to select the IDE CDROM as it only
supports SCSI or SCSI emulated drives. I don't mind using the burner to
read, but it only reads at 8x and it rules out me using the quick disk to
disk copy if required. (I know it's risky, but it comes in handy
sometimes...) It also means slower audio extraction as well.

I want to make my CDROM drive SCSI emulated as well so I can use it under
X-cdroast and others. I'm a little new at this, but I'm guessing I do the
following:

1.	Edit my lilo.conf file to allow SCSI emulation of my other drive. My
lilo file (as made by Mandrake 7.2 during the install) currently says this
under the Linux section:

	 'image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append=" hdc=ide-scsi ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"
	vgax8
	read-only'

	I add another line under the existing append statement, something
like:

	append=" hdd=ide-scsi ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"

2.	Run lilo to enable the changes.
3.	Edit my fstab file so that instead of having a generic /dev/cdrom2
as /mnt/cdrom2 reference, it would have something similar to my /mnt/cdrom
reference (the burner) where it refers to a SCSI drive, but with 0,1 instead
of 0,0. (Sorry about the lack of detail, but I don't have the file in front
of me - on work Win98 machine).
4.	Reboot and see if it works.

Have I missed anything? Will this bugger up any other references in my
system. I have some links on my desktop and in other programs that refer to
/mnt/cdrom2, but as long as I adjust the fstab file so that the now SCSI
emulated CDROM drive is still mounted as /mnt/cdrom2, that should be OK
should it?

I know I should try this before asking the group, but my Linux confidence is
still developing, and I thought it couldn't hurt to check with you guys (and
girls) first.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis.