[plug] Samba

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Thu Dec 28 08:05:56 WST 2000

Guys, maybe someone can shine some light on this problem.  I have a client that have 2 requests:
1) they want to know if it's possible to access a application that is running over NetWare (the app is a DOS base application) from a Linux server.  Currently users with either DOS or Windows based PC are able to access the application using the primarily protocol IPX .  However what is needed is a way to access the application through Netgear routers using IP to route (we have NetWare 5.1 with CMD running (this routes IP with IPX packets in the NCP)) so we can route IPX from one LAN to the other LAN.  The main problem I see is the bandwidth is only 64K ISDN (we tested this on 128K also).  When we first approached this we tried running the application over the routers and this yields time of 15 seconds to bring up the interface and on average 10 secs to process the request.  They are currently doing a PCAnywhere connection from one LAN to the other LAN and this is good of course.  But they need to have 2 other users access the program and this would mean 2 more PCANYWHERE workstations, 4 modems and 2 more telephone lines.  They have looked at Citrix as a solution and although this may work the cost was too high.  To have the application redevelop  will take too long, so the next question is what can Linux do?  I think what they are hoping for is Linux acting as a gateway so multiple users can access the NetWare server, However I don't see this happening as the data will still be traveling across the WAN link and that is the problem in the first place. They need to send keystrokes and mouse clicks.

2) Can a user access a Linux server running Samba with the MYOB dat file in their home directory?  If so, they want to have the user be able to dial in and access the dat file as the main program sits on the user Win98 PC at their resident.  If I setup Samba as a master browser (since the only NT server in place is a server not PDC or BDC server (it only runs a fax program, soon to be changed over to Novell running Tobit), will this work?  When the user dials in they are given an IP address by the Linux server on a different network (192.168.2 vs 192.168.1) it really shouldn't make any difference which subnet they are on as long as they are accessing the Linux box correct?

Jon L. Miller, MCNE ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au