[plug] e-mail: Fetchmail | Postfix | KMail or Balsa or Evolution?

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 28 16:52:47 WST 2000

daniel at iinet.net.au wrote:

> I have been looking for a way to setup my e-mail to:
>
> - Get my e-mails to both my Linux setup and my Windows setup

Do you have two different boxes or just one dual-boot?  If you have two then
imap is your friend, otherwise I think you'll need to get a program that uses
the same format for storing mail (Netscape comes to mind), and convince the
linux version to use the directory/file on the windows partition.  From memory
I've done something similiar with Netscape in the past before switching to imap
but I was using samba/nfs mounts, but the principle should be the same but
you'll want to watch out for line-terminator issues, you should be able to
overcome them with the right invocation in /etc/fstab or with a script that runs
on startup/shutdown though that's not as reliable.

> - Handle spam: preferably by bouncing back so the sender presumes it's not
> an active address (this is possible isn't it?).  Also the usual filtering
> of personal and lists e-mail.

Unless fetchmail now does filtering you'll probably also want to set up procmail
on the unix box.  man procmail should tell you all you need to know.

> - Use an open data standard: store mail in a format that could be backed up
> and if necessary read by other mail clients later if necessary. (mbox?)

Eudora, Netscape and most unix MUAs will work with mbox.  This page might give
you some more ideas
http://mango.human.cornell.edu/kens/MoreFAQ.html

Regards,
Steve