[plug] Samba config

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Dec 28 21:10:38 WST 2000

At 07:13 AM 12/29/00 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
>I seem to be having a problem that may be under my nose, but when I dial
in to
>our Linux server with Samba running I'm not able to see the server nor the
>shares.  I checked my Win98 PC IP address and it reports the correct IP
>address the Linux server  gives (192.168.2.2).  However as I stated I'm not
>able to see the shares.

This is a browsing problem. If you do not have a WINS server defined,
browsing uses IP broadcasts.

Are your dialup addresses in the same subnet as the Samba server?

If not, you will need to configure WINS in your pppd config (ms-dns or
something like that).

Even if you are using proxy-arp, I have found cases where it just does not
work for browsing.

>I do have the IP address listed in the smb.conf file as a valid host address
>in the format of hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127. which hopefully is
>correct.
>Is there another setting that must be configured in order for the shares
to be
>seen?
>
>Thanks

Regards