[plug] Help! Network Problems!

Craig Foster craig_foster at cea.net.au
Tue Feb 1 09:05:15 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: John Summerfield <summer at OS2.ami.com.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 5:33 AM
Subject: Re: [plug] Help! Network Problems!

> > *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm)
Pro*
> > The company would happily pay for the license but as it will be closing
up
> > on Feb 4th, I'll be sure to ask them to hurry up on your behalf....
>
> Doesn't make it legal.

Read their friendly manuals - it is ok for a while, you just get the message
on every e-mail. Of course they would like to register, and we had all the
paperwork done - but then the situation changed. Thankyou for your sympathy.

> > :-)
> >
> > Besides,
> > a) have you looked at this e-mail package yet?
>
> No. Nor will I look at any Winders software where I have something
> suitable on Linux.

Try:-
Sun Solaris Sparc & Intel
Microsoft Windows NT,
Microsoft Windows 95/98
Linux (RedHat 6.0), LinuxPPC, Cobalt Intel, PPC (LinuxPPC, YellowDog), MIPS
(Cobalt), Alpha & non-RedHat Intel
Apple MacOS X Server PPC
FreeBSD 3.x Intel
BSDI BSD/OS Intel
Digital Unix (OSF1) Alpha
IBM AIX PPC
SGI IRIX MIPS
HP/UX HPPA
SCO UnixWare Intel
Linux RedHat 5.2 (discontinued on v3.0) Intel
FreeBSD 2.2.7 (discontinued on v2.6) Intel

Shows how much you're closed mindedness could put you behind in the real
world. It's as close a straight dropin for Exchange as you'll get.
Businesses out there want the swiss-army-knife, but something that even a
normally computer literate help-desk operator could understand should you
(the sysadmin) be unavailable. Nobody want indespensable people these days.
Building a sendmail/imap/openldap/postfix/qmail setup and keeping it all up
to date is still to be left to those that have put a *lot* of time into
learning their nuances.

I'm even able to administer the server across the internet with SSL web
administration. In fact LinuxWorld has mentioned them a couple of times,
even giving them an Editor's Choice for 1999 and saying that it is better
than Sendmail Pro. And you still didn't know it came on Linux - what do you
read?

> > b) it's better than html e-mail or 14 lines of PGP signed code isn't it?
>
> So what?

You're whining about one line. I (personally) dislike PGP code on the end of
mailing list mail, as it's redundant - it doesn't need to be encrypted. But
people have it set up that way and as long as they are bring the masses to
the light side of the force I don't say anything.

Which I hope I have helped do in the past...

For those other who would like to know what we're on about, do yourself a
favour and at least check out www.stalker.com. under CommuniGate Pro.

Regards,

Craig Foster.