[plug] New to list - file system

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Feb 3 14:40:57 WST 2000

"Mike Massen, Network Power Systems" wrote:
> mmm OK - I take it then that even with a larger drive its either not
> possible or not appropriate to have the DOS 6.2 file system to base linux
> on. ?
> In other words - is it essential the root linux drive have linux file system
> only and not any other file system ?
> The reason my initial favour of this is I can just unplug the drive and
> plug it into any other of my Win 3.11 or W95 systems to do backup, transfer
> or whatever with the hassle of a nic etc etc

Linux does need a Unix-based filesystem, featureless filesystems like
FAT are relatively useless.  If I were you then I would do the backup on
the Linux box and start weening yourself off the obsolete, legacy
systems.  You can take your FAT filesystem based disks out of those
machines and allow Linux to mount these and backup onto tape/CD/whatever
from there.

Regards,

Christian.