[plug] File systems, DOS, and Windows

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Feb 4 09:40:18 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> Whilst I believe that the RH6.x Linuces (?) will read the FAT32
> and NTFS kernels, thus eliminating the need for the inefficient
> FAT16 partition,

s/kernels/partitions/

Linux will also write those; in fact, Linux will make an NTFS floppy for
you, and read/write the data on it, but NT won't read it (because NT
"knowns" that NTFS doesn't come on floppys).

There are also 3rd-party free ext2 drivers for Windows 9X and NT
("Hystorical" note: NT gained the ability to read/write FAT32 *after*
the ext2 driver became available for it).

Win 3.11 and DOS are a dead loss as far as anything better than FAT16
goes, and in fact renaming files under DOS/Win3 can upset Win9X.
However, you don't need partitions for them, just make a file and use it
as if it were a partition, either directly through DOSEMU or WINE, or
indirectly through Linux's loopback device.

I haven't yet broken anything more important than obscure games that
beat heavily upon assorted hardware with DOSEMU. Your mileage still does
vary greatly with WINE, but the amount of Windows stuff that it will run
grows every week. You can run Windows 3 under DOSEMU if the urge takes
you.

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,