[plug] Linux NFS performance

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 4 10:01:18 WST 2000

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 08:44:53PM +0800, Tom Atkinson wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> Can anybody give opinions on how well Linux performs these days in the
> NFS department (client and server)?
>
> My company wants *high* performance file serving using RAID and Gigabit
> ethernet.  I want to do it with Linux.

On gigabit? I think you're going to have to benchmark it yourself on
a sample load... There's definitely different tradeoffs of CPU against
bandwidth, for example, at gigabit speeds versus 10 or 100Mbps.

FWIW ;
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:ccjsun.riken.go.jp/ccj/doc/NFSbench99Apr.html

It looks very helpful to use NFSv3 ;
http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/

> Our network consists of Linux/x86 and Sun/Sparc, so NFS performance in
> the hetero environment is of interest to me and my company.
>
> Thanking you,
> Tom Atkinson

To be honest, if price is no object, Sun ought to be able to win this one.
NFS is very important to them.

BTW - don't suppose you have any SBUS Fast Ethernet cards lying
around? ::-)

They still cost over $1100 ex tax, new, a far cry from the shiny new
Netgear PCI tulip's I've just bought for $50 each. <sigh> I want one for
the University Computer Club's NFS server, because 10Mbps is starting
to become a real drawback...

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal