[plug] Four journalling FSes!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Feb 4 12:16:33 WST 2000

Christian wrote:
> Leon Brooks wrote:
>> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jfs/index.html

> Four?  How many are included in the latest stable kernel release?  It's
> nice that IBM has done this but there's still a *very* long way to go.

Agreed. But a lot less of a way than writing one from scratch.

> How long ago was the XFS release announced and what progress has been
> made into allowing the end-users to benefit from this?

AFAIK, it works, kind of. The end users won't normally see it until it's
bulletproof, since there is no point in releasing a flakey reliability
enhancement, is there?

If Microsoft can claim one JFS for Windows NT/0000 and yet their admins
still install a FAT boot partition, I have no problem with chalking up
four JFSes for Linux.

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,