[plug] Linux NFS performance

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Sun Feb 6 01:21:55 WST 2000

> Tom Atkinson wrote:
> > Can anybody give opinions on how well Linux performs these days in the
> > NFS department (client and server)?
>
> > My company wants *high* performance file serving using RAID and Gigabit
> > ethernet.  I want to do it with Linux.
>
> I think 2.3.* kernels will do it OK, I seem to remember NFS and they
> being substantially rewritten together. 2.3.* also has a more parallel
> TCP stack, which will help.

I was going to mention that any experiences are likely to be outdated by
two point three and the prospective two point four; one of the changes I
see mentioned is NFS code being redone again.

Since Leon mentioned 2.3, I won't.

Be aware, thoght, that the 2.3 stream IS development software; it's very
likely to have broken releases. If you find one that works, stick with it.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield