[plug] PLUG mailing list regular post (sample proposal)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Feb 7 19:50:23 WST 2000

Please comment on this proposal for a regular (monthly?) PLUG mailing
list hints posting.

--------8<----cut-here----8<--------

This is the regular automated PLUG mailing list announcement. For more
information about PLUG, visit the website at http://plug.linux.org.au/

The PLUG mailing list is mailing list with an essentially public
participation and audience. For this reason, we ask that you keep
postings polite, clean and acrimony-free.

PLUG is a fairly casual group, and beyond basic public manners, we ask
that you refrain from insisting that others accept your views and
values. Feel free to criticise any posting to this list, but do so
kindly and politely.

To maintain the public spirit of this list, we would be pleased if you
refrained from publishing business advertisements here, except for ONE
advertisement of Linux-related events, such as job offers, Linux courses
and symposia.

If you wish to sell us printer toner, the latest nose-hair removing tool
or sneak previews of pornographic websites, we ask that instead of
posting to this list you attend one of the regular meetings and put your
proposal to us in person. Any posting of printer toner advertisements
and the like to this list is done at the poster's own risk and very much
against our advice.

If you crave more immediate feedback, and perhaps less politeness, you
could try visiting the #linuxaus channel with your favourite IRC client.

Most members on this list prefer to receive plain text mail (not HTML
and never MS-Word documents) and some members do not have facilities for
displaying graphics.

Quoting of large messages to put in a one-line reply is strongly
discouraged, as is posting of large attachments (post a Web reference to
the file instead, so only those interested need spend the time and
bandwidth fetching it).

Mailing list and Web services are provided for free by a Western
Australian ISP. Please treat this gift graciously.

If you have a complaint about the list, a posting on it, or the
behaviour of a particular poster, please address it to the list list
manager at plug-owner at plug.linux.org.au [Matt please correct if wrong],
NOT the main list.

Whaddaya think?

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,