[plug] PLUG mailing list regular post (sample proposal)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Feb 7 20:24:18 WST 2000

Christian wrote:
> My view would be that there is no need to be kind necessarily but any
> criticism made should be a technical rather than personal in nature.

How to phrase this? "Correcting technical details is fine, even welcome,
but character assassination and the like is not"?

> When philosophical subjects come up then avoiding personal comments is
> perhaps even more important.  Personal comments and discussions should
> be avoided I feel. Ahem.

(-:

> > If you crave more immediate feedback, and perhaps less politeness, you
> > could try visiting the #linuxaus channel with your favourite IRC client.

> Is #linuxaus the official channel of PLUG?

No. PLUG has no official channel. "Official" is not usually a word
associated with IRC channels. (-: #linuxaus is used by many Linux
Australia members, including at least six people on this mailing list.

> If you're going
> to mention this then perhaps you should mention #linux on the Oz.Org
> network which other members of this list frequent.

Good idea.

>> If you have a complaint about the list, a posting on it, or the
>> behaviour of a particular poster, please address it to the list list
>> manager at plug-owner at plug.linux.org.au [Matt please correct if
>> wrong], NOT the main list.

> Of course, emailing the person directly to try and settle the difference
> in a mature manner might also be advisable.  Emailing that persons ISP
> and threatening spurious lawsuits would be right out...

"If you have a complaint about the list, a posting on it, or the
behaviour of a particular poster, and emailing the originator of the
offending message(s) has brought no satisfaction, please address a
complaint to the list manager at plug-owner at plug.linux.org.au [Matt
please correct if wrong], NOT the main list."

Good enough? Suggests a solution, then refers to the manager.

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,