[plug] Fast net access via Linux server question

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Tue Feb 8 13:40:05 WST 2000

This email comes from a company where hundreds of users have e-mail and
nearly as many have web access through a single 56k modem (and MS Poxy &
Exchange).

I have set up several Internet servers for small networks where 10 - 20 PCs
use a single 33.6 or 56 k modem through a Linux box running squid & diald.
For the local primary school, their "advisors" told them they would have to
have 64k ISDN or else it wouldn't work.  However, after balking at the
$900/month ISDN rental, they now have a 33.6 k modem on a Pentium 100
(without a screen) that works just fine.  I think they have about 10 PCs
with Internet access.  They have the option of doing the multi-PPP thing
when they run out of bandwidth, but so far they barely touch the bandwidth
that is available to them.  As well, the server could certainly be beefed up
a bit with a larger and faster Squid cache.

My advice is to try the modem option first (even up to 20 or more PCs) and
then increase bandwidth when the need is demonstrated.  You should keep in
mind that people tend to use the Internet far more after they are first
connected than in the longer term (ie. after a few weeks).  It is also
important that new users recognise that the "wait" in "World Wide Wait" is
only partially due to the bandwidth you have to your ISP.  Even with a nice
fat pipe to the Internet, most international web sites are only marginally
faster to display than over a modem (in my opinion anyway).

Cheers
Colin Rothnie