[plug] Fast net access via Linux server question

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Feb 8 17:36:50 WST 2000

Old Firestation Backpacker wrote:

> Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Old Firestation Backpacker [aka Leon] wrote:
> >> 56K should be enough with Squid or a similar proxy on the Linux box
> >> (spec it for >=64K of RAM, recommend 128K)
>
> > I think you'll need more RAM than that, unless it's a _really_ old
> > firestation in your backpack.
>
> 128M is plenty here, even with the same machine being used as a browser
> client (K6-II-400, uses 2xbonded 56K modems, 12 browser screens, one of
> which is often me)

I have a small squid cache running off a machine with 40MB and the
machine is doing a lot of other things as well.  You *can* get away
without using up too much memory for squid since all it really needs is
to hold the hot and in-transit objects which, on all but the busiest
caches, don't really need all that much memory at all.  Of course the
more memory the better and performance goes down the drain if you don't
have enough but for 10 users, it would probably be fine.

Regards,

Christian.