[plug] Fast net access via Linux server question

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Feb 9 09:28:29 WST 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, John Summerfield wrote:

> Whether you can use more than two modems in parallel, I'll leave you to
> explore;-)

I'm running 4 33.6 modems loadbalanced with eql for one of our customers -
seems to work fine - they can get speeds of over 16kBytes/sec (so equiv to
a 128kbit link) - the only downside is the latency inherent in modems.

The hassle with eql is that it's a linux only protocol (afaik) and since
most ISPs will now be running Portmasters/Ciscos etc for the dialups, they
would have to set up dedicated lines on a dedicated machine for you.
(The customer I mentioned above pays for their own line rental, and have
supplied their own machine)

There is also support for the multilink protocol (which portmasters and
friends support) but I haven't yet had the chance to play with it.

http://linux-mp.terz.de/ has info. If anybody has success getting this to
work, please let me know.

 - Matt