[plug] Quick SMP question

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Feb 9 10:40:39 WST 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> Hello All,
> 	I have an SMP system :) BUT it seems that I need to run a UP kernel to get
> a particular appliction to work.   My question is simple.

Really? What application is that? Seems a strange restriction.

> If I run a UP kernel on a machine that physically has 2 CPU's will it work.
> 	Obviously it won't use the second CPU BUT I can live with that.

It will work fine. Seems a bit of a waste though. :)
Also, have a look at the pset patches, which allow you to (amongst other
things) "stick" a process to a CPU.

http://isunix.it.ilstu.edu/~thockin/pset/

Alternatively, how about running the application under linux through
vmware? That way you don't have to reboot to use that application, and you
don't have to do without your second CPU for other applications.

 - Matt