[plug] email error messages

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Feb 14 10:57:25 WST 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Christian wrote:

> russ wrote:
> > Do I need sendmail to get mail from a remote host if I am using
> > fetchmail? How do I kill sendmail so it doesn't start at boot or as a

 remove the links  /etc/rc.d/rc*/*sendmail
		These start and stop sendmail on bott up/down.

> You do need sendmail (or superior MTA... *grin*) running if you are
> using fetchmail since it delivers email via the local SMTP port.  My

Not neccesarily. You can tell fetchmail to deliver by any agent, including
procmail, or by forking sendmail directly.

> but it'll probably be fairly obvious if you look in the sendmail
> configuration file.

myhost% less /etc/sendmail.cf
"/etc/sendmail.cf" might as well be a binary file.  See it anyway?
R$* < @ localhost > $*      $: $1 < @ $j . > $2     no domain at all
R$* < @ localhost . $m > $* $: $1 < @ $j . > $2     local domain
R$* < @ localhost . UUCP > $*   $: $1 < @ $j . > $2     .UUCP domain
R$* < @@ $=w > $*       $: $1 < @ $j . > $3     self-literal