[plug] email error messages

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Mon Feb 14 11:41:33 WST 2000

russ wrote:

> Do I need sendmail to get mail from a remote host if I am using
> fetchmail? How do I kill sendmail so it doesn't start at boot or as a
> daemon? Because yes, I see it is running. Or do I just not worry since
> the spammers are being rejected they will go somewhere else?

If you don't require incoming connections of any sort (you probably
don't if you're using it on a dialup connection), just do this:

in /etc/hosts.allow put just this one line:
ALL: LOCAL, localhost, 127.0.0.

in /etc/hosts.deny put just this one line:
ALL: ALL

Then you can safely leave sendmail and any other daemons you want
running; this won't affect your ability to fetch mail, surf the Web,
etc. If you're on a local LAN rather tha a dialup, and want to allow any
and all connections from that LAN, just put the LAN's first three digits
in on the pattern of 127.0.0. above.

If you want more detail, man hosts.deny, man hosts.allow

Colin