[plug] Subnet block correct netmask

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Feb 14 14:42:56 WST 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Garth Atkinson wrote:

> A ISP has assigned a TCP/IP subnet of X.X.X.X/30 to my client. Does
> this mean that the subnet can accomodate two hosts and that the network
> mask should be 255.255.255.252 ?

Yes, but how is this assigned? Is this subnet in addition to the (static?)
IP that gets assigned when they dial in? or is it the subnet that contains
the static IP and the gateway on the ISP's end?

If the former then you should be able to run that subnet over your
ethernet (for example) and have the gateway host and one additional host
visible to the 'net.

 - Matt