[plug] Hostname change

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Feb 16 09:26:31 WST 2000

"Mike (Perth, WA)" wrote:
> It should be possible to reconfigure an OS and even various kernel operators
> during execution (with appropriate safegaurds) and not have to go through
> a full reboot which may upset tasks, its easy to say at moment
> cause I don't think anyone is using linux in Perth for *real* mission
> critical stuff - BUt it would be nice if such OS design was built-in...

Well, if you didn't know, Linux is built with more or less this
capability.  The major limitation in uptime tends to be kernel upgrades
(which I don't think I've heard of any OS which can do without a reboot)
and hardware issues.  And, even with these there's always hot-swappable
drives; I have a machine with 6 x 9.1 GB hot-swappable hardware RAID
disks so, even if one of these disks which carry the main OS fails, I
can just pull it out and stick in the replacement without any downtime.
I'm sure others on this list have at least comparable hardware.

As for no one in Perth using Linux for "real mission critical stuff",
I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm sure there are lots of people on this
list who use Linux on machines which they very much want 24/7
availability from.  And there's probably a good percentage of these
whose businesses and livelihoods depend on the performance and
availability of these machines.  Maybe you don't consider these
mission-critical machines "real" enough, but to the people involved in
these businesses there's certainly nothing imaginary about them.

Regards,

Christian.