[plug] Advice please

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Feb 16 12:35:34 WST 2000

skribe wrote:
> Nice try at psychobabble, Christian, but no cigar for you.  I know you feel
> threatened by other people using OSes oher than linux but you really
> shouldn't be.  Linux is not the answer to every solution.  My life (and
> countless others) would be so much easier if it were.  Linux is a good OS,
> but it's nowhere near perfect.  Chill out.

You *know* that I feel threatened by people using other OSes?  Really?
Well, my home machine runs Debian GNU/Linux, Win95, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and
Solaris... so, I confess... you're right!  I obviously have a huge
problem with other operating systems.  You must know me really well.
And, of course you're right that Linux isn't the "answer to every
solution [sic]"...

Why would I feel threatened by people using other operating systems?
What a stupid, mindless comment -- particularly hypocritical coming from
someone who calls Windows the "evilos".  My last email was merely an
attempt to peg your intentions, obviously I got it wrong so please
forgive me.  It would seem really stupid to spend so much money on a
home server machine which will be idle for virtually 100% of the time,
on the other hand it would make sense if you were going to use it for
your main desktop system.

> As for my `tossing' money at a new machine, it's because the P-133 is
> slowing to a crawl and I want to do what I did 4 years ago.  Spend $3000
> and buy something that will last 3-4 years.

What is this P133 doing?  My P100 runs NAT, web, mail (SMTP and IMAP!),
squid and Samba file/print serving for my home network without barely
breaking a sweat.  It's 5 years old and will probably last another 3 or
so, assuming the hardware doesn't give out.